PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robot aircraft take to British skies
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2016, 13:52
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c52

I thought I read that story a couple of years ago.
You probably did - I first read about this project maybe 6-7 years ago and since then the story has reappeared in the mainstream press several times - I think as the project progresses occasionally somebody makes a decision to raise it's profile and pushes out a press release..maybe just for PR reasons, might also be for funding purposes, who knows?.

From wiki ( therefore usual caveats apply).

"In July 2008, a BAE Systems team that included Cranfield Aerospace and the National Flight Laboratory Centre at Cranfield University achieved a major breakthrough in unmanned air systems technology. The team flew a series of missions, totalling 800 mi (1,290 km), in a specially modified Jetstream 31 (G-BWWW) without any human intervention, This was the first time such an undertaking had been achieved. " my emphasis

Not sure how autonomous this Jetstream really is but of course an automated capability to deal with the yaw associated with engine failures, and/or TCAS avoidance handled by the the autopilot are features already in service on some types, so one would hope the research team are ahead of the game on those items.

Last edited by wiggy; 7th Dec 2016 at 15:52.