PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 7th Dec 2016, 07:52
jess15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Water pilot
Pardon me for a really dumb question from a non pilot, but how did this outfit get insurance? With two planes in hock for nonpayment of maintenance, an outstanding arrest warrant, and a very low balance sheet this would look like a commercial operation that would be extremely high risk. I assume that you cannot take off with passengers for hire without current insurance, even in Bolivia or am I missing something?
I imagine that is to do with Vargas's son -Gustavo Steven Vargas Villegas-having been Director of the DGAC.
( He was suspended on the same day as Celia Monasterio from Aasana.)

Whilst Vargas Senior has been arrested on Tuesday, he is claiming he resigned due to pesonal reasons, three days prior to the crash. ( He has a notarised letter that has been published in the media.)

I expect Rocha (third LaMia owner-pilot) will be arrested next. The South American journalists have unearthed a photo which shows he co-piloted the Argentine national team in November, the controversial flight that's also been discussed in all the press.¿Imprudencia extrema? El vuelo de Lamia de la selección habría llegado con lo justo | Mundo D

As for insurance, it's been mooted in the press, that in reality they never had valid insurance for international operation. This link details the financial irregularities that journalists have found in the last couple of days.
LaMia operaba con un patrimonio de Bs 114.953 | Noticias de Bolivia y el Mundo - EL DEBER

Meanwhile "flight technician" Erwin Tumiri still can't accept the crash was due to lack of fuel and believes it to be faulty APU.
Tumiri hace nuevas revelaciones y funcionaria busca asilo: LaMia | Diario Correo del Sur: Noticias de Sucre, Bolivia y el Mundo

Note well, there was an additional flight engineer on board, Angel Lugo, (técnico venezolano) as well as the Paraguayan pilot Gustavo Encina. ( Posters asked after the crash, why the crew totalled 9.........)