PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emotions on discharge!!!!
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2016, 05:31
Uptime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handing in the F1250 (and the car pass) driving out of Waddington main gate heading towards Woodhall Spa was emotional, thinking what have I done. Yet in some ways it was like being posted.. I kept my RAF shoes for some reason. Still have my No. 2 jacket hanging in the wardrobe, zip still works but it doesn't meet in the middle !!!

The old team kept in touch for probably 18 months and then slowly we drifted our different ways (no Facebook in those days).
The 5yrs, in the 70's, at Binbrook and its Simulator is still the most vivid and pleasing memory, although at the time winter on the hill was not pleasant especially commuting from Manby.
Wednesday's sports afternoon, Coarse fishing we would be bussed to a match on the Witham or Trent, a few beers on the way back. Thursday it was off to Lincoln or Grimsby college for more civvie certifications.

PVR'd in 1995 after 25yrs. Hired by US IT company, its Chairman ran for US President twice and for 3yrs was my mentor. Moved to US in 2002. Never thought my 2016 base salary would exceed 2016 Air Marshal salary - not bad for a Chief Tech (Band 6).
BUT no sports on a Wednesday and college is in your own time.
The RAF provided superb training and leadership experience, now a C level Exec leading global teams - yes I remember it all fondly but as they say its never the same going back..

Uptime