PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 21:43
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take, for example, her claim about flying at '10 (or 25) feet or below' over breeding whales.
I don't know whether that was filmed from the chase plane/camera ship or not.
I do however very much doubt the veracity of that TCT story, particularly, as we know, Ewald would have been in the front seat.
If you the review the thread you'll see I was one of the first to take exception to this particular boast, which I heard first hand on the BBC breakfast radio show. My qualifications to make an observation on this subject - 5000 hours maritime and qualified sea-survival instructor.

Not everyone agreed with my input (fair enough) and some saw it as thread drift - also fair comment. I settled my "outrage" by contributing a thread on ditching in the forum, which - mostly - seemed reasonably well received.

But wait! As always with BIAB, the plot thickens. Some time later I was researching on Nylon Films and found the trailer for "The Aviatrix"

Nylon Films Home

In it (at 1.02) you will see guess what? The Whale Clip.

Now I can't be sure (editing innit) but it does not look "open ocean" (more like one wingtip over the beach) and therefore my earlier comments don't really apply (can't say fairer than that, can I) but it certainly does not look in 25 feet bracket either. More like a hundred feet plus. So once more our BiaB seems to be getting carried away.

And just for the absolute record (I just checked) she claims to fly quote 25 feet over the sea over the whales, and 10 - 20 feet over some lake unquote.

Before everybody rushes off, buckets at the ready, to check the clip...could I point out the details really don't matter.

Professional aviators do not talk like a character in a Biggles book every time sometime points a microphone or camera at them. Period.

PS Haven't seen the whole film, it looks beautifully made though, can't fault Nylon films for putting on a good show, that's their job.