PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Defense Secretary Selected
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 21:19
FOG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf,

Pleading guilty on the plagiarism of the quote, I first heard it from Gen. Gray in 1988 as a 2ndLt.

Met Clark during Allied Farce. We wanted the ARG to seize Pristina and since I had some training/experience with these… Short version it was; a) Stupid, b) Sounded like an illegal order to invade without proper authority, c) 6th Fleet was never chopped to EUCOM, it was in support. General impression of Clark was that he would have been the most over the top GO if he had been in Dr. Strangelove.

Agree to disagree on Powell. I met Powel in a working/social type situation. Very smooth and worked the room as a politician. Initial impression was that Powell was informed and knew his stuff. As the event developed it was clear that Powell was regurgitating lines. Powell’s knowledge, let alone mastery, of both the specific situation and at the basic Capt. (non MOS specific) level were severely lacking. He was very good at re-directing the conversation vice addressing the subjects.

“That came from the top, despite the Army's best efforts to fulfill their Title X roles for post conflict ops” I didn’t have access to the top of the USMC but when queried those with multiple stars received essentially the following; “Your concerns are noted and appreciated, they have been addressed by those civilians both elected and those confirmed by the Senate.” Translation is; STFU, go do your jobs, and don’t ask questions that would embarrass our civilian seniors.

S/F, FOG

Last edited by FOG; 7th Dec 2016 at 02:19.