PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emotions on discharge!!!!
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 20:13
Lyneham Lad

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
In a previous existence as a 41yr old F/Sgt ATechA & signed on to age 55, I thought that was that - plenty of time to get my 'Gallopers' yada yada. The guys in my Flight probably thought I was the sort who went to bed in RAF pyjamas, starched, pressed and with rank badges sewn on. On my 43rd birthday (late Nov) I applied to PVR, having decided I really needed a new challenge. When I announced this to a crowded crewroom, it really was quite comical - I don't think I have ever seen so many jaws drop simultaneously.

Anyway, pesky PMC held me to six months despite me waving a written offer of employment with a multi-national company. I worked out that if I took resettlement as 'work experience' and ditto for terminal leave, throw in Easter Grant and annual leave entitlement, I could start mid-Feb instead of mid-May. Luckily the Engineering and HR Directors agreed to hold the position open for me, so mid-Feb I cleared mid-week, took the Friday off (I figured the RAF owned me that) and started the new job on the Monday morning. Absolutely no time for second thoughts, no time for looking back - and no regrets.

One thing I had decided before taking up the job was to never talk about the RAF and my time in it - unless I was specifically asked. There is nothing more boring than someone banging on about "their time in the mob..." as I discovered when the foreman i/c the Engineering Lab turned out to be ex-LYN C/T Sootie who could talk about nothing else. I soon learnt to try and time my visits to check on my tests & experiments so as to avoid him and his inevitable "when I was..." endless reminiscences.

Good luck and enjoy your new career - I certainly enjoyed mine.

PS - for the first three months I enjoyed two salaries

Last edited by Lyneham Lad; 6th Dec 2016 at 20:43. Reason: PS added.