PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Defense Secretary Selected
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 19:02
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by FOG
Evidence the plans and requirements as levied upon the operational forces.
From Zinni's ~300k (an op plan we did a part of during a CPX) to Shinseki's 240-260 K to get it done through Phase IV and V, what we ended up with was a "how cheap can we do it" as directed from the National Command Authority. I was in theater when Bremmer was there, and when he snuck out like a thief in the night. The under-resourcing of Phases IV and V was blatant and cynical. That came from the top, despite the Army's best efforts to fulfill their Title X roles for post conflict ops
When Gen. Shensheki was fired for his congressional testimony then looked at the forces being tapped for the invasion most were incredulous.
It was a MacNamaresque move, not Rummy's finest moment.
No one I know thought we (the USA) was serious about having a stable Iraq and public statements, etc. were a form of maskrovka, roughly along the lines of WWII Churchill and Coventry. That politicians didn’t have the PME of a Cpl. or 2ndLt. nor read Lawrence in college was unbelievable.
Yep. I had always wondered if that were the longer game: entice local radicals into Iraq to get the locals to fight each other, but given some of our relationships in the area, I am not so sure that was the actual intent. It's just how it ended up.

Clark I met in person, he was J3 at the time. (Or was is DCSOPS for the Army? ) Smart guy, to be sure, but when he was in SHAPE my colleagues there "would not vote for that man for dog catcher." My own take on his time as SACEUR is a below average grade. Personal opinion. Powell I have met in person; we'll agree to disagree on the assessment, other than that both men learned how to operate in the Political AOR.
I hope he does away with the PC culture and it’s attendant costs.
He can try, but Congress pays the bills and they seem to have bought into it. I think Mattis will know which fights to pick. My read on him is that is one of his strengths.
I hope he brings back the idea of actual training as during the Reagan and Bush1 eras.
Yeah, what a concept: a well trained force.
Unfortunately hope is not a COA but it’s the best we have at this time.
Heh, thus spake General Sullivan when he was Chief of Staff of the Army.

To roughly quote General Shelton: Douglas Feith was the dumbest smart guy he'd met in his life. Likewise with a few other people who had W's ear.