PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Defense Secretary Selected
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 18:44
FOG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf,

I agree that the desired end state should be clearly articulated and achievable. During the 1990s the desired end state was the defeat of Iraq and a stable Iraq. Evidence the plans and requirements as levied upon the operational forces. I was never a permanent staff officer for MarCet, CentCom, etc. but worked with more than a few of them. The two basic paths were defeat Iraq ala WWII (vice WWI)
Germany or defeat and occupy with a large force and administer.

When Gen. Shensheki was fired for his congressional testimony then looked at the forces being tapped for the invasion most were incredulous. The only thing that we could figure the objective being was to start an insurgency by toppling the central government thus enticing various jihadis to fight in Iraq vice Afghanistan. The the thinking being that Iraq was easier to get for the jihadis and far cheaper for us on the logistics side.

No one I know thought we (the USA) was serious about having a stable Iraq and public statements, etc. were a form of maskrovka, roughly along the lines of WWII Churchill and Coventry. That politicians didn’t have the PME of a Cpl. or 2ndLt. nor read Lawrence in college was unbelievable. The alternative being that the same politicians would have to double their collective IQ get to triple digits. Only time may tell, depending on level of honesty revealed by those involved.

One of the most telling briefs I attended was by a civilian lady for the War College. Basically she said we don’t care how you fight you Bn., Sqdn., etc. and that we don’t care about the tactical, operational with the only strategic concern was working with the civilian superiors. More than one officer decided that the path was not in keeping with their oath and ethos, they either turned down orders or told their monitor/detailer not to cut orders as they would not accept them.

The result is senior general officers in the mold of Powell and Clark. I have professionally met both and neither inspired much confidence in their traditional military abilities, though their ability to BS was good.

I hope Gen. Mattis initiates a PME along Gen. Grey, where the military tactical, technical, and strategic were central while encouraging study of other areas on the side. I hope he does away with the PC culture and it’s attendant costs. I hope he brings back the idea of actual training as during the Reagan and Bush1 eras. I hope he initiates an education plan of the civilian leadership to include Congress and other departments. I hope he gets a deputy who can figure out the whole acquisition ‘stuff’ and spearhead reforms with congress (sounds like a Mitt Romney).

Unfortunately hope is not a COA but it’s the best we have at this time.

S/F, FOG