PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 6th Dec 2016, 15:50
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Alright ,this will be a long ,long ,long road 7-8 years from today ,I see my self with my fATPL........
Leaving aside we have absolutely no idea what the job market will look like in 7-8 years so far, so good...

.... ,I have 3 kids a,3 step sons and a very supportive other half all in one roof
Ok.

No holidays ,fancy clothes or other treats that can all always come later in life.
You might think that, having had kids myself I think in all honesty you are going to have trouble with holding that line for 7 years plus, (especially if the kids are young). What happens post the fATPL - Will it all hold together if you end up working for a company that requires you to be flexible about where you are based?

I know there's the standard line of "you've got to be in it to win" but I'd suggest if you haven't done so just for a while forget "living the dream" and sit down for really long chat with your airline pilot relative and grill him/her on the realities of the job - not the rose tinted specs version.. I mean the realities of pay scales, early starts, late finishes, split shifts, possible commuting/basing.

If you do that and still go ahead with your plan then in all honesty good luck.