PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emotions on discharge!!!!
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 15:01
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I left after a total time of 31 years (1999), could not stay in until age 55, but in hindsight it turned out good for me. Had plenty of good times, some not so good, but didn’t miss the life like I thought I would. I still needed a job and did worry a bit and got talked into a low paid job due to having a pension, which in hindsight was a good stepping stone for where I finally ended up.

As I left after clearing, I felt strangely unmoved and only concerned about my ability to gain a decent job doing something I could enjoy, and get my teeth into something different but still utilised my particular skills and knowledge.
To a certain extent some could say I was still ‘in’ as my work has been within the aerospace industry supporting the services, and despite the large numbers of ex, and in some places serving military personnel, it always surprised me that a large proportion of civilian management that had not served did not understand the ‘military’ environment, actually that applies to some that had been, and still are, in the military to be honest.

I have now retired and am quite content overall to do most of what my better half decides is for my own good. So, enjoy the big world outside the military environment, I reckon it is as good in some areas and better in others, depending on who you work for and where, the good thing is it is now your choice.