PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creamed Off at BFTS?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 11:55
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
As a student I felt I got better instruction from creamies at BFTS than AFTS. I think this was because the BFTS creamies had some context in which to give their instruction: they knew what skills were required to pass the next course. One exercise that particularly sticks in the mind from Valley was the max possible rate turn: creamies tended to be nibby about precise speeds and attitudes, whereas ex-front line guys tolerated a bit more inaccuracy and encouraged you to get your head out into the turn because you were supposed to be developing the skills required for air combat. Presumably "skimmies" had similar weaknesses at BFTS, having never experienced the next step.

I guess you could argue that the ex-ME and RW instructors at Linton never experienced Valley either. In my experience, though, most of them seemed to have been chopped at Valley in their own student days, and they were generally exceptionally pernickety when it came to teaching the skills on which they had themselves struggled, with good insights into potential areas for error. Which actually made their instruction highly valuable!