PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to mount camera?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2016, 06:33
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not hard to make videos people want to watch

If you're going to make your video available for public consumption somehow, then please, please, please don't limit yourself to just one mounting position. Even just 30 seconds of video shot from a single viewpoint is extremely boring. In order to make your edited video even remotely interesting it's got to be a mix of at least four different viewpoints.
I very much have to agree. Not much more frustrating than ten minutes of the same view preceding 30 seconds of something interesting. Delete as much of the footage as you can. (When I look at some of my earlier videos that I thought I had pruned rather well, I realize more could have come out.) Show different view points, even if you have to do multiple flights.

Good audio helps, too. There are adapters that let you record from the radio/intercom directly into the camera. They work well.

If I may share one of my own videos, here's several different views edited together. This was, if I remember right, four total flights on the same day. If I were to redo this one, I'd make it about a minute shorter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYy1Or8Pz8. There are several flying videos there.

Consider asking someone to film you entering/exiting the airplane. Get a picture of a sign or some other identifying item. Try to make it a story. Here's my first ever effort at telling a story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRlbfg8i1Q

Should you have a camera (or more) one your aircraft, remember, you're there to fly the plane, not be a movie star. Focus your attention on safe flying, rather than flying for the camera. People have been known to do dumb things when they thought that a camera was recording.
Safety first, please. There was an accident a while back where the cause seems to have been a selfie at night shortly after takeoff. When the flash went off...

Terry