PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 5th Dec 2016, 18:02
foresight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The president of Bolivia, Evo Morales, claims he was unaware the LaMia was a Bolivian company with permission to operate in Bolivia. There is footage on YouTube of Morales on the very aircraft in question, with the crew. One photo shows him seated in the aircraft next to the young flight attendant who survived.

There appears to be an arrangement between LaMia and CONMEBOL which is likely a chummy deal made with people high up in the Bolivian government.
There is a conflict of interest between the Bolivian aviation authority and LaMia which has been mentioned in several posts.

Celia Casteda is a very minor civil servant. Like many thousands of such women in Latin America, she has done a poorly paid government job for thirty years which gives her security and a pension. She almost certainly got the job because she knew someone who knew someone who knew someone else etc. She won't be well educated.
I believe she went as far as she could without jeopardising her job -and probably her families security and future.
Most of all, to her superiors, she is utterly expendable.
Hopefully her union will fight tooth and nail for her. However union officials can be bought off and will themselves have close links to members of the government.
It seems inevitable that LaMia flight 2933 will claim another victim.
A lot of guilty people are going to get off scot free.

I don't know Bolivia, but I am very familiar with other Latin American countries and have family and many friends there. This is all horribly familiar.