PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mphil/Phd transfer Viva.
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2003, 19:20
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably have a slight advantage in that a fair chunk of the in-use published material in the field has my name on it anyway.
IŽd be looking for your understanding on the works that you hadnŽt written, to make sure that you were heading down a useful path and not speared off into the corner

One thing that troubles me slightly, and I don't know if anybody else has been there, is that whilst most of the work is experimental and virtually all of my analysis is nondimensionalised longhand calculation - virtually all of the published work by my assessors is CFD related.
IŽd be looking for check calculations and cross-checking methods to make sure you hadnŽt made a mistake

I confess to a mild paranoia about the risk of spending several hours defending the fact that I didn't do the whole lot by computer modelling.
computer modelling doesnŽt necessarily add much at this level since youŽre being paid to think and not push buttons. There are no negative marks for missing computer analysis per se. IŽd be looking that you hadnŽt sold your concept short by inadequate analysis due to laziness. And IŽd suggest an answer ready as to why your approach was adequate and to demonstrate some understanding of the computer options that could have been used if you had so wanted to (without being derogatory about the computer)