PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2003, 19:15
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't ignore Easy Glider's comments without giving serious thought to their origins.

I've posted on the realities of the job before, and can completely agree with his sentiments.

I think the bottom line is, you're getting into a profession which will seriously curtail your freedoms. As long as you understand the implications of that, then fine.

This job will make huge demands on your time, your health, your bank balance and your family. It has ruined more marriages than I've ever seen.

And on top of all that, you will always remain an employee, a pawn to be used when needed in someone else's wealth creation scheme. And completely disposable when times are tough. No chance to become a partner in this business, or set up your own practice, or be creative, or diversify.

How do the airline bosses view you? For the most part as taxi drivers who don't have the wherewithall to go out and make some real money like them. Don't expect any respect or consideration from them.

Once you finally secure that airline seat, the job basically doesn't change significantly until you retire at the other end. And all you will have is memories. You carried tens of thousands of people from A to B. That's it. Nothing else to show for your labours.

Not trying to put anyone off, but be prepared for the reality.