PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2016, 13:34
ayroplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have I explained my viewpoint?
You have, indeed, explained your position but I get the sense that this same viewpoint was around at the time that the likes of easyJet and Ryanair were coming on the scene. The low fare airlines have since created thousands of jobs in their own companies and at airports everywhere that would never have happened otherwise. Some people seem to forget that. They have also enabled millions of passengers to use short-haul air travel like never before. Tourism revenues have vastly increased accordingly. It’s long overdue for T/A long-haul to be challenged in the same fashion.

This made-up “race to the bottom” terminology means nothing and is a poor excuse for a mindset that wanted access to airline travel restricted to the rich and famous and keep fares high to support exorbitant wages. Remember that it’s only twenty years since LHR-DUB was £400 return and air travel was restricted to the elite. If someone can buck the old trends and do T/A long-haul cheaper (with all safety requirements fulfilled) then good luck to them.