PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK and the Rolls engines
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2016, 13:17
falconeasydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a way you have to think that with respect to the 380 project per se it's akin to the chickens finally coming home to roost. The airframe is very very popular with those who use it, me included, but economically it's a turkey and no matter how much little T bangs on about it in the media, nothing will change that reality.
RR build damn fine engines EVENTUALLY, look at the RB211, a bastard child that bankrupted the company that was eventually a world beater in so many respects, the Trent as an evolution of the 211 is a fine engine but it won't in its current evolution save the 380 from the beer can companies.
I've said it before plenty of times on here, the 380 is a niche airframe, it excels at congested hub airports which from an EK perspective excludes DXB, so we are talking about the usual suspects, LHR, LAX, JFK, FRA, CDG, BKK, SIN, SYD etc, everywhere else with perhaps the exception of AKL and MAN the aircraft is an ego trip masquerading as innovation.
If we concede that imitation is the greatest form of flattery in the airline game then the goat and the airline that must never be mentioned have looked at EKs model and improved upon it, particularly with using flexible and economic airframes on the right routes...380s included.
In conclusion the best thing that can be done is to use the 380 as intended, stop sending it to places where it loses money and most importantly exercise some capacity discipline by introducing airframes that suit the routes 350/787 etc etc.
Failing that you could come and work with me on my G650....but leave the 777/380 BS at the door please ����