PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 4th Dec 2016, 11:15
Uplinker

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
The reluctance to declare a fuel emergency or call a MAYDAY isn't simply the issue of paperwork..
Declaring a fuel emergency will result in an enquiry that under circumstances such as these is likely to reflect badly on the captain's decision making and result in a blemish on the pilot's record that will affect his future employment prospects with a major airline, or even threaten his current employment status.

Because getting killed in the resultant crash is so much better
This literally falls into the Darwin Award category, unfortunately with a bunch of other victims.

I agree.

I suspect he just carried on hoping - hoping - hoping he would make it. Pretty girl on the flight deck, doesn't want to lose face, hence the apparent calm and the 'senorita' used to address ATC.

Only when the engines started failing did he finally accept how deep into the shxt he had gone.

I just hope the XAA makes an urgent review of all flight planning by all airlines in their country after this ridiculous crash.