PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How I did it! How you can do it!
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2016, 03:40
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Aye, indeed I had no formal college degree, but I bought one on the internet for $800.
Based on Life Experience of course.
When I interviewed with AA I was honest and said it was not accredited.
Not a problem, check that box, are you married, do you mind commuting, let's look at your license and medical?
That was HR.
Next was the interview with a bunch of Captains and Check Airmen.
Some tech questions, some situations questions, logbook under the microscope before I got called into the room, 12-15 letters of recommendation, FAA records, a joke or two, good vibes.
Medical next with psycho testing on computers and a doc reading the printout: Turned out he was really into sailing and diving and so was I: We swapped stories on those subjects until closing time as I was the last guy that day.
When I got up to leave I asked how my testing came out? He glanced at the print out and said fine..
Overall a very psotive experience, no sh!t because they hired me.
I think they looked more at ratings and time as well as personality than some college degree although I was the ultimate non-sced cargo/bush pilot kind of guy but they were looking to fill seats with bodies who could run an airplane safely from A to B rather than a Gucci guy with a PHd in liberal arts.
I enjoyed AA, lots of super good guys but with the usual 5% aresholes.
Most guys were also sharp as a tack when it came to flying stuff and book knowledge.
A few were weak and once or twice I saved the day as an FO, but same with all airlines.
Overall a great place to work, but with a bunch of heavy PIC time behind me I got bored with the long time to upgrade and lost interest after 11 years in the right seat.