PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 4th Dec 2016, 02:29
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AtomKraft
In addition to what appears to be crazy or non-existent flight planning, there comes the issue of what to do when it all goes quiet......and dark, as it surely will when the motion lotion has been consumed.

When I was trained on the RJ- (thanks Dai), we explored this in the sim. First time, even though I could see the field, I just had no idea how much height I needed or how far the thing would glide with the height we had. As a result one made a spectacular cock of the exercise arriving over the threshold way too high and fast to land.

But, having seen how the thing glided (MUCH better than I expected), and how fast to fly it, the re-run was quite straightforward.

I wonder if these guys had the benefit of such thorough training? It would be a jolly talented pilot who could pull off a deadsticker in the RJ without a little practice...
There have been some successful dead stick lands (as far as I know the talented pilots have also been glider pilots), but they have also been when they can see where they are going. Could even the most talented pilot have succeeded at night?