PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How I did it! How you can do it!
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2016, 00:18
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
No, not Ron Straus, but the name rings a bell.
I got the call August or September 1988 about the B-747, the CP was an ex Coast Guard guy, Bob something..?
Evergreen was a good gig, they pulled me out of the DC-3s and gave me a shot at heavy jets, no college degree, no nothing except a clean resume with some stick and rudder time and a burning desire to fly big stuff.
Evergreen after 3 years led me to the Middle East on more 747-200s in the right seat, then Tower Air in 1994 with a quick upgrade to Captain, 747-100/200 after 18 months on the property.
Did that until they went tits up, then AA called for some reason.
Flew B-757/767 there until furloughed after 9/11.
Spent a year doing boats as a Yacht Captain in South Florida, then Tradewinds Airlines offers a job in the left seat of yet another 747-200 with a quick promotion to Check Airman.
Did that gig for 3 years, then AA called me back.
About that time Bush signed into law age 65, then a few years later AA filed for BK. Then we merged with US Air, then got a pay rise, then I got bored and took early retirement.
Got me a boat and started a little charter business running little old ladies up and down the canals and rivers in Fort Lauderdale while drinking beer on days off, and buying, fixing up, renting out and selling condos and day trading stocks
With spare cash.
Never boring in the flying business.
You young guys listening?
Be flexible, work hard and be prepared for the worst.
No college or high school required.

Last edited by TowerDog; 4th Dec 2016 at 00:38.