PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 21:00
Enos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyj
If you change operations then of course you go to the bottom of the seniority list..and start in something other than command..what do you expect!? Just because you've got a few silver hairs, a bunch of hours, had commands flying rubber dogsh-- out of Sri Lanka etc etc that means you should get ahead of everyone else?? Just slot into the program and enjoy letting someone else take responsibility for a while.
Hey Matty while I agree what you're saying regarding seniority I think you might be missing the the point.

If they're talking about inexperienced FOs so inexperienced that they can't upgrade, then the guy who's been flying the rubber dog Sh1t out of Asia might be better in the left seat.

Slotting in and enjoying the program in the right seat, might mean an experienced captain baby sitting someone in the left seat who clearly shouldn't be there.

This sounds like a committee to me, not a great feeling to send your wife and kids off flying with!

You can't buy experience and if management with nice suits, big egos and political agendas can't understand this, then the holes in Swiss cheese will line up pretty quickly.

Good luck and I hope you're around long enough to grow a few grey hairs.