PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RRP (Flying) Review
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 12:13
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
I feel that the apparent haemorrhaging of pilots is relative to the stage of your career you are at. I passed my IPP last year. It stands to reason that lots of my peer group reached the crossroads point for their career in the same period. It can certainly feel like 'everyone's leaving' when this is the case.

As I have said on other threads, I am a FJ guy through and through and something of an optimist to boot. I cannot pretend I understand manning issues on other fleets but in my area of expertise I am only really witnessing slightly higher than normal outflow. The growth of the RAF's aircraft fleets is a great thing but it is, of course, contributing to the manning problem.

I agree with MSOCs. I don't think we have a crisis yet. However, say what you like. Money is the answer. The RAF will be far more able to stem the flow and increase long term retention if they can at least pretend to counter the money on offer elsewhere.

It's not just about airlines. In fact, in the FJ world, that's barely even on the radar. People have broadened their horizons nowadays and overseas jobs are far more of a pull from where I'm sitting.

BV