PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 600kg rule for microlight?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 08:32
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As I understand it, the spirit behind the original ultralight concept was "you may create danger for yourself and your passenger as much as you want, as long as the danger to yourself is greater than that to people on the ground". The weight limit is there to minimise damage on the ground in case of a crash. Only they didn't think of limiting the speed, too... The current ultralights are way more performant than anything the then regulators ever thought of!

Frankly, what wing loading has to do with it eludes me; except if such a rule would automatically bring thick slow wings.

@bose-x: that is a good point. Especially in Germany, many ultralights are better equipped and more performant than most C152's. It is not rare to see them carry a full glass panel, two moving maps, and an autopilot. Small wonder those chaps are now clamouring for a weight increase, they have very able travelling machines and only the weight limit keeps them from travelling even more and further. But IMHO they are going well beyond the original ultralight concept. Again, I am not against it, but do not wish to give up any of the present liberties.

Last edited by Jan Olieslagers; 3rd Dec 2016 at 08:59.