PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 22:48
sealear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go with the Tesla autopilot argument again. If you are going to go down that path, dyor at least please
Autopilot is nowhere near a finished product, the owners manual CLEARLY states that you must have your hands on the wheel at all times. What more do you want? Is it poorly named? Hell yes. We all know how many people have been killed while using Autopilot. How many have been saved? The media doesn't report that.

Now for the issue of space travel..... NASA is extremely underfunded and it is amazing what they accomplish with such limited resources. Imagine if they had the funding of the US military for example. Space X has autonomously landed a first stage rocked on a floating barge. That has never been done before, and again on limited resources. Before you go around claiming we will never make it to Mars, ask yourself why do you think that is? The capability, the motivation, the technology (to a certain extent) is all there, the only thing that is missing is FUNDING. With unlimited funding I think you would be amazed at what could be done. We already have an electric car that can travel over 500km, too bad it costs well north of 100k.

AI is going to happen whether you like it or not. Yes, a lot of high profile intelligent people are vocally against it, but a lot of companies are aggressively researching the technology as we speak. No one knows how it is going to impact society, but I think we have been watching too many movies.

Anyway, I am getting seriously off topic now, so I am just going to skip ahead and say "past performance is not an indicator of future results" (someone already said that above).