PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pink Floyd Flying Pig
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 16:06
hairstreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An excerpt from "Heathrow ATC The First 50 Years" by Brian Piket and Pete Bish. Hope I'm not breaching any copyright laws.

PINK PIG

An advertising balloon, shaped and coloured to resemble a pink pig, was tethered between two of the four chimneys of Battersea Power Station to promote the forthcoming Pink Floyd album "Animals" (released 23rd January 1977). One westerlies morning it broke free but the device fitted to deflate it in such circumstances failed to operate and the pig floated away eastwards gaining height. Inbound flights had to be warned that they might see a pink pig go past and there were numerous reports from members of the public reporting that pigs can fly.

Pink Floyd's manager rang to say that he would be prepared to charter an aircraft and chase the pig with a view to shooting it down but this was politely declined however, and the balloon is believed to have deflated out at sea.

This book is available from Amazon for an astonishing amount of money. My copy was free because I worked there at the time