PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 2nd Dec 2016, 11:41
marie paire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barry lloyd
maire paire:

As one who has spent half their professional life working in South America, speaks fluent Spanish and Portuguese and had dealings with the civil aviation authorities in most of those countries, I will say only this:

1) Not all of the accidents which take place are investigated or reported officially. Example - the 'meat run' from Trinidad (Bolivia) to La Paz when there were many accidents, one of which I saw myself, but it was never formally reported.
2) Why were DC-3s allowed to take off from Villavicencio (Colombia) with their doors removed so that they could carry petrol drums? This happened in plain sight during the day - I saw it with my own eyes - and not just once.

I fully understand that breaches of the rules take place in other parts of the world too, but I speak only of what I know.
Yes, but...
1. We are talking air transport operations only and
2. These accidents and incidents are all reported and investigated;
3. ICAO and IATA statistics show that the regional improvement in that aspect has been remarkable over the last few years. In line with, but better than, most of the world, I must add.

Last edited by marie paire; 2nd Dec 2016 at 11:44. Reason: Written twice ICAO iso ICAO & IATA