PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotting ADF / VOR facilities
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2016, 23:17
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Akro, (first note this is little uncharted territory here, I don't have a definitive answer I am just describing how the regs work)

In order for the navaid to be published under Part 175, it needs to be operating under Part 171, and under Part 171 is where all the operating requirements come from. The regs don't distinguish between navaids with approaches and navaids without. I guess what I am trying to say is either a navaid is part of the airways network or it its not.

If you publish the navaid then the assumption is that it is an available network navigation facility, and can be used as such. In this case, this is not the intention.

I don't see how they are going to make the navaid available without putting it back on the network...and that is going to cost a lot of dollars, this goes way beyond the peppercorn arrangement that was suggested. My guess is that as Air services hasn't pulled it out of the ground yet and it is probably still radiating, so it can be used....until Airservices rip it out of the ground. But it definitely won't be officially available and definitely won't be recommissioned. Its operating on borrowed time.

There are some navaids which have training procedures. AsA was supposed to have created one for CWS after the Philip Is approach was withdrawn, but... we got the usual inactivity and procrastination and now the aid has been shut down.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. AsA were not supposed to do any such thing. AsA were asked if it was possible, and under the current regs it was a breach of regulation to provide such an approach. This was advised back to the RAPAC representative along with an indication that we would not be providing such an approach (I have the email). The fact it went no further is an issue, but I can't fix that.

If CASA had a real commitment to air safety, it would provide some training / currency aids and procedures.

There, I fixed it for you. This is not a responsibility of Airservices

Alpha