PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2016, 23:13
dr dre

Received 357 Likes on 196 Posts
I can't see any airline within the cut-throat industry we are in deciding to burden themselves with cost.
I believe Aer Lingus does, and I would consider BA to effectively fund its FPP with the full cost of the course being paid back over seven years as a form of quasi-bonding. Very unlikely for someone to leave a legacy carrier like BA within 7 years anyway.

How about the Airlines invest in their product?
What if an Airline spent money in 2017 to ensure experience in 2020?
If that Airline penned an MOU with the local flying school to take ten CPL graduate per annum , pay them the minimum wage, roster them on the computer meanies HF course and one flight per week in the jump seat while they studied their aviation degree or what ever they chose to study and actually nursed them through from young 18 year old CPL to keen 23 year old first officer candidate . Pay Experienced Captains to sit down with them once a month and mentor them through a program .actually put money into creating a good product. What about that?
Minus the wage bit, isn't that similar to what Qlink and UNSW are doing? What you've described is essentially a sponsored cadetship

Last edited by dr dre; 1st Dec 2016 at 23:31.