PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Club email addresses hacked
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2016, 18:21
Colonal Mustard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is extremely easy to identify people who belong to various MOD organisations or have links to them from the past.....many people put details of past and current careers on the likes of LinkedIn or Facebook and a simple organisation search reveals that, and most importantly their email address...

Scammers will also gather phone numbers from these sites or CV's that people have previously listed on jobsites and will check them against sites such as www.truecaller.com (check your own number) it will list your phone network provider and in some cases your personal details which makes spam texting even easier to spoof.

I dont have any connection with the club but this would appear that ex military and members of the club are being targeted as part of an organised effort to get you all to "click a link" and enter your login details or install ransomware, just be extra cautious of suspicious emails.

I would urge you all to report all suspicious emails to Action Fraud (the right hand link) so that a true picture can be established or simply forward them to

[email protected]

I would doubt the club has been hacked but someone has done some harvesting of email addresses.

you can also read up more in the little book of cyber scams published on the Met Police website here http://www.met.police.uk/docs/little...yber-scams.pdf

Last edited by Colonal Mustard; 1st Dec 2016 at 18:23. Reason: updated link