PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Regional Headhunting
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2016, 18:03
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
"A pilot DOES qualify for a H1B under the technicalities of immigration law.... The only key is if a company wants to."

FC86,

Interesting. Most people looking at the visa issue are most likely NOT experts or even knowledgeable on the subject. And dealing with our Imperial Federal Government is an exercise in frustration.

I've followed this issue for a while and have NOT seen any company admit they'll help an expat applicant with the visa process...except for Republic and that was reputedly unsuccessful. This from a January, 2016, WSJ article:

"Mr. Bedford called the increased training requirement the “most significant headwind” to bringing in new pilots. The airline last year sought to take advantage of a slump in Brazilian air traffic to bring in foreign pilots, but was unable to get visas for them to fly in the U.S., he said."

Google this title of the article for a readable link: "Republic Airways CEO Says Labor Accord Has Halved Pilot Losses"

While you're understandably reluctant to mention the airline you fly for, could you just give some very general details of how you went about getting where you are ?

Did you just apply from overseas with no connections to the USA that would give you a head start or advantage, i.e., no relatives here or previous visas of any kind ?

Did the employer freely offer to facilitate the visa process for you when you applied...or did you have to ask for help ?

Did you have FAA licenses when you applied ?

I'm sure there are lots of people who'd love to hear how it works.

Last edited by bafanguy; 1st Dec 2016 at 20:07.