PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2016, 14:26
lolder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only 80 nm further from Recife than from Cape Town and downwind also so the flying time eastbound is less than the time NW bound from Cape Town. That's important because of the reserve fuel requirements to the island. I think it's a definite possibility. There's a much larger number of potential affluent customers in South America than in South Africa. Brazil speaks Portuguese, however. The ERJ 190 looks like a good candidate. I'd love to know how much fuel they landed with. It looks like they touched down at the 500 ft. bar from the end of the threshold. The threshold on 02 looks to be displaced anout 300 ft. so he touched down 800 ft. from the beginning of the pavement. There is also about a 500 ft. unpaved under run before the pavement. The best I've seen anyone else do is the Comair 737-800 in April who touched down 700 ft. past rnwy 20 1000 ft. displaced threshold or 1700 from the edge of the pavement. The usual touchdown zone for narrow body airliners is from 500 to 1500 ft. past the threshold with the 1000 ft. bars being the aiming point. I would certainly always try to touch down just at the 500 ft. point at this scary airport.
I just saw a new video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvkfm2MDKeo and it looks like he touched down 300 ft. past the threshold or 600 ft. past the pavement beginning.