PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 1st Dec 2016, 11:28
Design Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVR recording duration

originally posted by klintE
Looking at the pictures of B-boxes...
FDR is Allied Signal with 25 hours of flight data.
And CVR is probably BASE SCR500
But they were in 2 versions: SCR500-030 and SCR500-120
First is recording last 30 minutes, and the second is recording last 120 minutes.
It would be better to hear more then 30 minutes I think.
I totally agree. 30 mins with recording over the previous section is of potentially ZERO use when looking at 'in flight upsets' that are recovered and the flight completed or diverted. A couple of Qantas incidents come to mind for example.

Modern solid state recorders have the capability to record staggering amounts of audio data.

A quick sum shows that a COTS 100GB solid state hard drive could retain over 10,000 hours of TEN channels of audio, allowing for seperate Comms channels as well as CAMs plus more, all in hi-fi quality in a package 2.5" by 3.5?" by about 3/8", so easily protected and that is a SMALL capacity drive by modern standards !

I have quite a big issue with this. Technology has way overtaken outdated standards in certain areas. It's something I'd like to raise in another thread perhaps. Much the same is true for FDRs.