PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2016, 08:00
DomyDom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betablockeruk, its only anecdotal but if you travel up to the Lakes regularly by train you may be surprised to see how many Japanese tourists visit the area. Also there are quite a few Japanese tourists visiting Manchester. One area that will prove to be big for them assuming it gets the go ahead is the NuGen new nuclear power project that will be built next to Sellafield. It will be the largest UK nuclear power plant ever and is due for a final investment decision in 2018 but early work is underway. NuGen is part owned by Toshiba and it's HQ is in Manchester, Piccadilly so I would expect to see many Japanese technicians etc. coming across. As I said I don't know whether the numbers stack up but with tourism and business I wouldn't be surprised to see a Japanese link in the not too distant future. Its also (with India) the only large wealthy economy that remains unserved from MAN directly. With Indian demand met from the Midlands (BHX)due to cultural ties I would see Japan as a likely contender for the next Eastern long haul.