PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Sonic Boom
Thread: The Sonic Boom
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2003, 04:19
HAL Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been on the deck of a CVS when a F-14 did pass supersonic, I can tell you that the result is very different. Three seakings trashed while rotors running on deck and extensive damage to the carrier. F14 pilot sent home from Gulf
I'm going to have to wave the BS flag on this one.

First, U.S. aircraft carriers are CV or CVN, the U.S. Navy has not used the CVS designation for over 30 years. Any active Navy pilot or sailor would know this and would not call the boat a CVS. I am assuming you meant a U.S. boat since they are the only ones flying F-14s. If you meant a Brit boat, the F-14 would not get that close without permission from the Brit's air traffic control.

Second, I have witnesses many close aboard F-14 and F/A-18 supersonic low passes from the decks of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, USS John F. Kennedy and USS Carl Vinson. Never has any of the carriers or aircraft on board received any damage. I will admit we never had a helo on deck with rotors turning, but there were helos in the air just off the starboard side at desk and island height.

Third, when standing at the deck edge watching the supersonic passes, you did not feel any significant change in the wind velocity or atmospheric pressure. The only discomfort or noticable effect was sound (the sonic boom). Without proper ear protection, they hurt. With proper protection, it was still very loud.

Last edited by HAL Pilot; 12th Aug 2003 at 10:39.