PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well, that was fun
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2016, 21:24
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Armchair Flyer, what i have been taught is that for the rotor to keep producing lift it needs to keep turning. Seems pretty sensible to me. And for it to keep turning it needs g loading. 1g will do nicely. 4g turns it faster. There is an upper and lower limit of rotor speed..... negative g is thus bad news. And of course there is a VNE. As I'm sure you know, an autogyro is always in auto rotation. They don't hover....
But they do land in small spaces. Doesn't apply to takeoff for most of them, i gather. The Magni uses more runway for that than a super cub, other things being equal. But, well, it's still fun. Solo circuits this afternoon involved a lot of holding patterns and expedited circuits in a nice brisk wind while the big boys did their thing on the ILS. That wee beast I was flying will go from 160 kph on final to 90 kph in short order and then touch down at walking pace. 90 to 160 takes a bit longer
Did I remember to say that it's fun? Because it is!
Sorry about the metric units. Convert them yourself if you feel the need.
Haraka, interesting about the stability. I understand that the fix was to add tail feathers. No elevators on the Magni, but quite a large fixed horizontal surface. Certainly it will fly hands off for a while. Long enough to unfold a map sufficiently for it to disappear over the side, anyway.