PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Qantas livery.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2016, 19:46
Revenue_Melb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm....while we all love aircraft, how it looks on the plane isn't actually the main consideration. The logo and typeface will be used on advertising, letterhead, airport signage, posters, etc. The average passenger will spend more time looking at the logo on their napkin as they wait for their tray to be cleared than they will looking at the aircraft before they board. Decisions on branding and logos should be based on what most customers and prospective customers will see (e.g. Emails, website and advertisements). While it's nice make sure the planes look great the primary function of a logo and brand is to fill up the aircraft. Repainting aircraft is hard and expensive but the new look is already being used where it is most important - on things that drive passengers. A well designed press campaign is going to drive more passengers than what a plane looks like that is parked nose into a gate where the passengers never really get a close up look at it. I don't really have a preference between the old and new - but I guarantee most passengers or prospective passengers have noticed the change already, all of which helps Qantas break the image of being old and stogy - absolutely essential when you're up against Virgin that has a brand that is positioned as innovative. I make no comment on the relative merits on the two airlines but their marketing teams are trying to position the airlines in different ways.