PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crews Above Flight Level.....
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2016, 18:14
peekay4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they really looking for a zero blood alcohol reading!!!???

They seem to assume only mouthwashes and 'alcohol consumption' produce a positive blood alcohol reading. It may well be that 151 individuals have had their careers destroyed due to infections or other unavoidable and unknown causes

Another country to cross off my list....
Not really. The required level is 0.00%. If you have an underlying medical condition, etc., affecting the tests then you can contest it. Most of these conditions could cause readings well above 0.02 anyway so a higher tolerance doesn't necessarily mean anything. I believe they use highly accurate breath-analysis machines (as opposed to hand-held "breathalyzers").

The 0.00% requirement isn't unusual in itself -- many safety-related industries have zero tolerance policies. Heck you can't drive a truck in many countries (or even a taxi/limo) with BAC over 0.00%.

Pick your poison...

In India the level is 0.00% but for first offense you get a slap on the wrist -- at most an administrative 3-month suspension unless there are aggravating circumstances.

In other countries, the level might be 0.02% or 0.04% but you are charged with a criminal offense right off the bat. You'd typically have to spend thousands of $$$ on attorney/legal fees, enter and complete a court-approved alcohol program, and agree to supervised monitoring for several years. Plus did I mention a criminal record?

What's unusual about India is I believe they require tests before each flight?