PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident
Thread: Incident
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2016, 09:09
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The London carrier incident might not have been the same as one reported of a B737 with engine failure over destination, CDG, and elected to turn round and return to LGW on one engine. "Nearest", "suitable" etc. Cripes. Debate raged for years after that one.
I remember being on a CRM course, possibly my first one, taken by the Virgin HR lady. (For my new airline) I was surprised when we did some test or other and given the results. I realised that I was the second biggest 'mouth' of the dozen or so pilots on the course! I was taught to talk less and listen more, a lesson I have tried to stay continually aware of.

On another course I listened (while my jaw slowly dropped little by little) to a TRE saying he could justify flying to a U.K. destination in a twin after losing an engine around Bordeaux. (No wx issues) I said there was no way that I could endorse his decision making in that case. I fully expected the person taking the course and the other pilots to back me up, only to be disappointed once more. I had a strong enough personality to maintain my position, but it was also interesting. I have learned to assume nothing where people are concerned.

Pilots tend to love these type of discussions on Pprune, most of it is ego talking of course. Of course I include myself. It is very interesting up to a point when you realise how (relatively) pointless they are, nothing much comes from them, just individual feelings of various varieties.

I am being a touch cynical I suppose. I have gratefully taken snippets from Tech Log over the years from wise old aviators. Lessons can be learned from all types, but it has to be built on experience.

True progress gradually creeps in a positive direction over time. I am reminded of Max Plank's famous qoute which Could be summed up as: 'Science progresses funeral by funeral'.