PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2016, 15:22
Jetblu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

As I have said many a time, never let the facts get in the way of a true story.

As you already know, people like yourself continue to peddle this sad story.
On the surface, it's shock, horror, wow! It's only when you start to see below the surface and observe the true facts you begin to realise the corruptness of 'the establishment,'

Yes, it's true, Maurice does not suffer 'brown tongue' syndrome and is also very vocal in highlighting the error of their ways, however, like sh*t, they all stick together, and they are not ashamed when they are caught either. They then make the judicial process of putting a wrong back to right very hard.

Quite honestly, I would rather have 10 Maurice's than just a few of the unpleasant persons that I have come across whom would like you to believe that they are the pillars of the community.

I can't believe that he would want any awards either. He just wants to be left alone to fly his aircraft to the Cape.

Haraka

Sorry, but your understanding is quite simply wrong.

Facts here.

VintageAirRally requested landing permits from the Ethiopian CAA in mid September, and were told several times over several weeks that they were ‘under process’. Flight permits are usually issued hours, or even minutes, before the flight so VintageAirRally were not unduly concerned. Two days before the flight VintageAirRally checked again, still ‘under process’.

The day before the flight, still with nothing heard, VintageAirRally contacted the Director General of the ECAA, who told us he expected the permits to be issued the following morning. The airport manager at Gambella also confirmed that our fuel had been delivered and that VintageAirRally were expected.

VintageAirRally filed flight plans, which were accepted by Addis Control, and were then given clearance to take-off by Khartoum, with destination Gambella. All but one aircraft departed (the fastest to wait on the ground first). 40 minutes later, VintageAirRally were asked to return to the tower to ‘fix’ a permit problem. An hour after that, VintageAirRally were informed by the ECAA that the permits had not been issued due to a last minute intervention by the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. By this time it was too late to tell the other aircraft to return, low on fuel they continued to destination and landed. The permit for the last aircraft came through about an hour later (but too close to sunset). The permit was used the next morning to fly to Gambella and join the rest of the Rally.

https://www.facebook.com/VintageAirRally/