PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone for serious twin eng. time building US ?
Old 12th Aug 2003, 00:52
lock wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From personal experience, I'd strongly advise against buying an aeroplane for hour building and then selling it.

A couple of years ago I bought a high-performance complex. Nothing particularly special, and I could expect it to appreciate in value. However, after only about 250 hours I'd spent another 40 grand on maintenance. Everything that could break, sooner or later broke. Eventually (I was already at the point of despair) the engine expired in a rather spectacular manner. That was another 20 grand.

Notwithstanding my own experiences, selling an aircraft right now is a nightmare as the market is so soft. Expect it to be on the market for a year. It's far quicker to sell a house right now.
Brokers that I've spoken to aren't interested in even listing an aeroplane right now unless you're prepared to price it way under blue book.

That all said though, I've done some amazing trips that wouldn't have possible with a rental. Check out my next 'big one':

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=ksee-kpga-kden-koma-kmdw-cykz-cymx-cyqb-cywk-cyha-cyfb-bgsf-bgkk-birk-ekvg-egpc-%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=nm&SPEED-GROUND=145&SPEED-UNITS=kts&MARKER=1&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=