PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation "communities"
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2016, 21:27
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many circles associated with aviation. My entry into aviation was via gliding. After a day at the field you would return to the bar, possibly have a meal, or as a group make your way to a pub. We looked like a bunch of scarecrows. But once a year we would have wash and put on some ill-fitting evening wear and attempt to behave ourselves. There were also few "official" hangar parties to which everyone was both invited and welcome. Every now and again we went off flying in light aircraft and apart from a grubby coffee machine there appeared to be no social activities at "power" clubs whatsoever. My opinion changed when I joined the WLAC at White Waltham. A proper clubhouse meant various social activities were possible and regular events took place. Before long I found out that WLAC was not unique, I had obviously led a sheltered life. My horizons were further expanded when I became a member of the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia. Doers, Walts, Wannabes, Nearly-ams – all types were members and that made some social events very interesting.

But at both sorts of clubs, there were 'hangers on'. People who apparently once flew, but no longer did. They were regulars in the bar and told everyone else how to fly, how to maintain this and that and they would regularly criticise those who did fly. And then there were the 'affinity groups', clubs and associations with fancy names. A lot of their members had fancy names and titles as well. These groups would hold some of their events at our clubs. They were very well dressed (by comparison with the members) and did not drink much beer. Shall we call them the Gin’n’Tonic set? But much like the hangers on, they knew everything there was to know about flying and aviation and would also not hang back with their criticisms of those that actually flew. But I never saw them fly. No, not all of them were like that but these people appeared to be in the majority. Their main events were held well away from aviation though!

Then there were the ones who you bumped into every now and again. They would have a grubby hangar, a grubby plane, boxes of tools and piles of bits and probably an old motorbike (in bits) out the back. They told you they hadn't a clue about anything, didn't fly much and would greet you with a smile and an oily handshake and get you to hold XY and Z while they did something up. You would probably have to zip off and get some milk so you could make them the tea they offered you. Then you find out that they have flown all over the place, still do and have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of aviation.

And then there are the people like me who now fly only for a living. I don't have the time to go flying for myself - I prefer to spend time with my family and friends and do other things. Given more time I think I’d like to learn to fly an auto gyro. And I'm certainly not what you would call a professional; I'm just a pilot. I still have a keen interest in all things aviation. But after nearly 40 years know the whiff of the Gin'n'Tonic set. Awards, gongs, plaques and medals awarded to people who are just like them. And how dare I criticise their decisions. After all, what can a mere ignorant pleb like myself know about achievements in flying?

What I have never done is managed to mingle with the people who have really done things in a formal environment. As Genghis states, these people and groups exist but I’m so far down the food chain that I’ll never do so. Which is a bit of a shame because these are people who I’d love to listen to and learn from. An even bigger shame is that Genghis’s mob are unable to put the Gin’n’Tonic set right.

As much as I'd like to think we are a single community I don't think we will ever be so. The small subsection represented by pprune posters proves this to be true. And then we have the regulators; are they members too?

PM