PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross country qualifier
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2016, 11:02
tobster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you My route was EGSR - EGSH - EGMC - EGSR

It was interesting to say the least. I arrived in the morning and weather was marginal. It then cleared up over colchester, and looked like I wasn't going to be doing the XC, so I just went up for a quick flight (taking all my planning with me - still not sure why, but glad I did). As I got airborne, my instructor came over the radio and told me the WX was clearing up, and I could start my journey, which was great news.

As I got closer to Norwich, the cloud base was pushing me towards my MSA, but I managed to stay a few hundred above. Norwich, despite being huge, is notoriously difficult to spot, so I did have to request a bearing to fly from them as I entered their airspace. They even turned on the lights for me, which was very kind. If you're ever that way, I recommend going in. The Saxonair lounge is lovely with loads of drinks and biscuits, and really GA friendly.

After a bevvy or two (orange juice), I set off towards Southend. The weather was clearing up in the south, but still a bit of rain over Norwich, so that was quite interesting. As I got to Wattisham MATZ, the weather became stunning and really bright (I didn't take my sunglasses as I didn't think the weather would become like that - bad decision in hindsight). Flight to Southend was very uneventful bar having to hold for an approaching A319. With that landed, I was cleared onto 05 and had a short break in the lobby before the 15 minute flight back in. Was a really enjoyable experience, and I can't wait to do more cross country stuff.

I've seen the instructor use it a few times, but even on my free trial, I can't really figure it all out. Looks like it will be really useful though, although I will still always use a chart to plan my route too. Technology can and does stop working when you may need it most

Best of luck when you do your LST, let us know how you get on