PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S92 OEI into Sumburgh
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2016, 07:00
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nescafe

I guess our are flying an AW139. If not ignore my comments.

The RFM for the 139 is a technical document written exclusively for the certification process, hence now the clamour from all corners of industry for a Flight Crew Operations Manual. These are currently available for the EC 225 (RIP) and the S92 and will soon be available for the 139.

The RFM currently advises the reader to 'continue flight' in the event of a 'Main Battery Hot' event, likewise for the 'Alt Batt Hot'. Perhaps most astonishingly it says the same if both events occur simultaneously.

This goes to show that the the context of a malfunction/emergency is very important. With any of those Batt Hot events I would indeed continue fight but only if I was downwind in the circuit which is probably where the Flight Test Engineer who wrote the procedure was when he came up with the drill.

If there is a tendency in our industry I would like to change it is the apparent desire NOT to tell the world you have a problem. Even worse even when it is acknowledged by the crew that they have an issue and tell ATC they use mealy-mouthed words like:

"We are returning with a technical issue"

When challenged by the controller - "are you declaring an emergency" they still refuse to use the magic words PAN PAN.... PAN PAN... PAN PAN.

Why not??

G.