PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian President's Helicopter....trashed!
Old 25th Nov 2016, 18:41
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huey Racer

The link I posted earlier will take you to the text of a presentation I gave to the RAeS back in July. It contains the following that I think supports your assessment.

I am banging on about ‘competency’ so maybe before I go any further I should define what I mean by that word. I judge a pilot to be competent when he can perform his daily duties safely, effectively and in accordance with all the rules and regulations that apply to that task. In addition I would include the ability to deal effectively with any problems that occur during the flight. He should be able to deal with the problems encountered and deliver the aircraft, passengers and crew safely to terra firma.

I have had the pleasure of training more than 400 pilots from 52 different countries since I started teaching on the AW139. Whilst 99% passed the various courses they were on, more than 50% could not, I my opinion, meet my definition of being competent. This is mainly because they are not able to cope when things go wrong.

G.