PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian President's Helicopter....trashed!
Old 25th Nov 2016, 10:29
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember also seeing the burnt-out wreck of a NAF Puma. I think they collided with the terminal building while maneuvering towards the refueling point at night, but I can't remember where that was.

We used to go into Osubi in rather non-standard ways, basically VFR in IMC at times. Doing that sort of thing had been all very well "back when," doing that single-pilot into Warri Airstrip in a Twotter when most of us knew exactly what we were doing, with nobody looking over our shoulders. (That said, Aero did stack up a few Twotters there.) You stepped down past the IA, finally seeing that "Chief's house," your cue to look for the threshold right under the nose, when that almost always worked the first time.

That sort of behavior did not translate well when it came to two-crew operations, and even less well when it came to operating small airliners into Osubi, which had no legal IFR approaches at all.

One day during the rainy season, I was reliably informed, the VIP section of the NAF flew into Osubi from Abuja in their Gulfstream, popping out of the low cloud not even vaguely lined up with the extended centerline but more like off to one side of the threshold. Nigerian luck was with them that day, when they managed to yank it straight and land, more by luck than judgment, but if that had ended in tears with some VVIP scattered all over the runway then things might not have gone well for Shell.

It's not fair to blame these sorts of screw-ups on the Nigerians and just leave it at that. There is often much left undone by the "First World" operators in the name of safety, as with those open ditches at Obubi, and the lack of any approved approaches. (That is to say, "Jeez! At least give me some IFR minimums to bust!" not that any of us have ever busted minimums, of course.)

It's not much use trying to set a good example for those unwilling to learn much, but it still might be worth trying a bit harder. Anyway, it's often so that the blame has to be shared a bit between Nigeria and the First World.