PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2003, 21:51
fourthreethree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bik_116.80

Well well, aint it amazing the responses you get when you turn to reasoned discussion rather than your previous method of debate. Having read your post I have reassessed my opinion of you. I may not agree with what you say a great deal, but thats the point of a discussion thread. At least now I can respect your viewpont as one coming from an intelligent human being.

To answer your question, a False RA, or at least my definition of it with regard to my post, is an RA given byTCAS when there was never any danger of an infringement of separation. In my case the action taken by the pilot, which was correct in accordance to airline policy, was to divert from my safe clearance, and climb into opposite traffic, which I had to turn away to avoid a loss of separation.

As you say, TCAS if left to its own devices will keep a/c apart, but we have separation minima to respect, TCAS will not adhere to that. If you are happy with that scenario then you're a braver man than me.

There are many quotes I could use from your post which show quite clearly to me that you do not understand fully the job of an ATCO in a busy radar environment. I do not pretend to be aware of the intricacies of piloting an aircraft even though I have many freinds, and indeed family who are pilots.

For example, you seem to think that TCAS gives enough situational awareness to know the controllers plan. Enough to question the plan. It doesn't matter how much traffic you can see on TCAS, until you know the flight plan data of every target you see you CANNOT have situational awareness. Doesn't matter how good the user is.

I could go on but my break is at an end, gotta go keep the skies safe again!!
Cheers Bik for a well reasoned post. Sure we will meet again.

Last edited by fourthreethree; 12th Aug 2003 at 02:43.