PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Repeat Of Tenerife Disaster In Adelaide.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 10:53
RobShan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower frequency was trialled at Adelaide; my (SLF) observation was that this required what were rapid almost pointless frequency changes.

In the case of the F50 in this incident, the sequence would go like this. They come off the runway at D2 switch from tower to ground, ground tells them to hold short RWY 23 (less than 300m taxi, actually less by the time they make contact with ground) and contact tower. Now they go back to tower who clears them to cross RWY 23 and contact ground on the other side. Taxiway E2 exits only have about 200m before they had to hold short. This sequence led to the occasional "which genius" comments from pilots, even on the longer taxiway F exits.

A more common-sense approach at Adelaide, I believe, would be for E2 and D2 exits at least, for the aircraft to remain with tower until the RWY crossing is completed. This is what happens late at night when ground and tower are run by one controller who often tells aircraft to remain tower frequency for the taxi to the gate.

Adelaide chart to help make sense of my ramblings: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...ADAD01-148.pdf