PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilot uniforms
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 22:58
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes there becomes apparent a "silver lining" when there is a uniform aberration imposed on crew.

Back in the days of Qantas owned by the Government we got a new Minister who was ex railways. He decided that we were only train drivers so he put us in a uniform similar to NSW rail and bus even though we objected.

At about the same time as the uniform was issued there was a major and long, fuel strike and were all had to use trains and bus. It was also winter so we had jackets on.

It was then we discovered what Mr Minister had done for us. No one would sell us a ticket on a Govt. bus or train because we were obviously staff and were entitled to free transport. No one would come near us because all the gold stripes indicated that we were very important. I even had ticket inspectors walk past me muttering "good morning sir". A friend who was a senior check and lived near Palm Beach ( a long bus trip if you don't know Sydney) was offered a seat at the rear of a bus and other passengers were instructed by the driver not to sit there.

So all you QF staff, you never know how this one will work out. there may be good yet although if there ever was an example of Qantas re inventing the wheel, I suspect the white hats are it. At least you don't have skydrol eating holes in the plastic tops like we did on the 707s.

Wunwing