PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2003, 19:51
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always makes me chuckle when a qualified and experienced pilot posts in wannabes and tells it like it is. Nobody ever listens!

It's easy to downplay something which most would deem exciting when you've (in Easy Gliders words) been there and done it. I played in bands for about seven years, enjoying pub lock-in's with free beer till we dropped, girls chatting US up, cash on the hip for playing music we loved for about an hour and a half each night. I gave that up because it lost the edge for me. It was becoming obvious that I was quite likely to make the break into something big when I decided to quit too so I'm perhaps more stupid than most but it was boring me.

Ring any bells regarding your flying experience does it Easy Glider?

Funny thing is - now I've had a break of about two years or more from anything remotely resembling the musical workload I had before I kinda miss it and plan to start playing again when I've got my pilot ticket but I digress......

I don't think I could convince anyone other than actual musicians that being a musician is anything other than exciting and wild but the downsides I experienced which eventually led me to drop it and follow the airline pilot dream rarely get mentioned as it's the downside to something seemingly rosy. Most things have downsides - that's life.

Money is not the main factor for most wannabe pilots just like it isn't the motivating force behind being a musician. It's the love for it which drives you and not the possible rewards so you'd do better to tell us all what it is about your working day that bores you so much Easy Glider rather than tell us all to become lawyers which most I'd imagine have zero interest in becoming.

Anyone who thinks about giving up does not have the dedication to succed in flying or music. Grasping the similarities with flying and music here? I know one thing - all those pilots I've met have one underlying similarity: determination and the 'I won't take any s**t which life throws at me' factor.

I can sympathise with Easy Gliders feelings regarding a career in aviation and applaud him for standing up and saying it's not worth following. It's the nature of the beast that most here won't take a blind bit of notice. Survival instinct if you will.

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 11th Aug 2003 at 20:09.